So, I haven’t been posting because the cord to my digital camera died and I needed to buy a new one. Then Gorgeous Man pointed out that he had a brand new digital camera complete with cord sitting in his wardrobe (I got the spinning wheel, he got a camera – that’s Christmas and Birthdays this year taken care of)… It didn’t even cross my mind.
In my defence, I am been sick, awful cough that is so bad I feel dizzy at the end of the coughing spell. Gorgeous Man just IMed me to let me know that my latest installment of fibre for my fibre club has arrived and is in his office and instead of going down to get it I’m waiting until he gets home (it’s a 6 minute walk or 1 minute drive). Mainly because I know I don’t have the strength to walk up the stairs to his office. Yep, must be sick
Of course this means that I have not been to the gym in ages.
Before the dreaded lurgy struck though. There was some finishing going on.
This is the second batt and the second half of the top from my fibre club (October) plied together. It’s a bit redder in real life. Reminds me of Christmas. At the rate we are going I may need to knit this up for Christmas. We have had a week of solid rain and cold, I want to know where spring is? I’ve got the heater and the open fire going.
My take-along-socks are finished.
I also finished a cardigan for the local hospital. It will have a hat and booties to match. It turned out really small though.
I do still quilt! Long time ago, before I left the quilting guild, the guild had a challenge to make miniature quilts. I took out my left-over 2 inch squares and cut some squares from Kate as well and sewed 9 patches. I then cut them and resewed to make disappearing 9 patch blocks. Then I started putting them together, and the seams didn’t quite match and since my old guild was filled with quilt police who would sniff at mismatched seams, I put the blocks deep into my stash box.
A few weeks ago I pulled them out and laid them on the floor. I realised they would be the perfect size for a doll quilt for Gorgeous Girl and she wouldn’t care about mismatched seams.
This is also my first attempt at machine quilting since the dreadful class I did a few years ago. It turned out reasonably well.
The batting was from a scrap I had lying around, and the backing and binding came from stash that I was gifted by a retiring sewer. I’m pretty sure they are poly-cotton, but it suits the purpose and Gorgeous Girl loves it, and it was free. She said “Thank you” very nicely, and takes it to bed with her each night to wrap the dollies in. I’ve got one left-over block that I’m thinking of turning into a coaster to go by my computer.
I’ve finished the last 2 rows on my fish quilt, just need to sew them on and then find fabric for the border. The pattern calls for left over fabric mitred for the border. I refuse to mitre because of the waste of fabric and the cost of fabric here. Also I don’t have enough of each kind left for that to work. So I think I’m just going to go and buy a big bit of batik blue to be the border. Hopefully I’ll have some energy by the weekend, and it will be warm enough to venture into the sewing room.
Read Full Post »