I’ve decided that I should teach myself to free motion quilt. Yesterday I pulled out the sewing machine mat that I pieced last year and gave it a try.
It’s pretty rough
and I broke two needles before I decided I was too tired to continue.
There are some very large stitches, but the machine held the tension on the back of the quilt really well.
My stipples are fairly wonky. I also broke two needles (good thing I bought a stash back from Australia at the beginning of the year…). But I can see improvement, and I’ve worked out why the needles broke and what I can do to avoid that in the future.
The pattern for the sewing machine mat is based on Tazzie’s scrappy stars. The quilt is thread basted because in this humidity pins will rust even if left in for just a short time. The thread didn’t interfere with the quilting as much as I expected it to.
Hopefully I’ll be able to get the quilting finished and the binding put on in the next little while. I do have to travel to Australia next week though to present a paper at uni and have an interview with a committee for to discuss the progress on my Master’s thesis. So that might slow the crafting down a little bit…