It’s a long weekend here in Papua New Guinea and Gorgeous Girl also had the Friday off school as well (she gets a 4 day weekend). So we did a little more yarn dyeing together.
She asked for some blue and pink yarn for a hat. 3 packets of Kool Aid later.
While that was on the stove I took some handspun alpaca and popped it into a pot with some cherry kool aid. The original yarn was a dirty cream and I was never going to use it the way it was. I’m happy with how it turned out.
There are very subtle colour variations in the yarn.
I’ve also done some scrapbooking. I did look at the usual scrapbooking challenges that I follow, but none of them really appealed this month. A lot are too prescriptive when you don’t live near a scrapbooking store. I don’t have 50 co-ordinating embellishments or the right combination of papers to follow a colour challenge. 🙂
So a simple page of photos that have been waiting far too long to be put into the album.
Those brilliant blue eyes are now a hazel/green…
Yesterday I had the urge to sew. I laid out my current leaders and enders project on the design
and pulled out my current piecing project. To my horror my sewing machine would not sew. All it did was pull long loops of thread to the back of the work. I did all the trouble shooting I could think of, I cleaned the bobbin case, changed the needle, rethreaded everything, but to no avail.
My machine is computerised, so there is no way to manually adjust the tension. I started researching sewing machine repair stores in the town in Australia where we will spend our winter holiday. I consulted the hive mind on facebook. One of my friends suggested that perhaps the heat and humidity were causing the machine to act up. It was an exceptionally hot day, even for here. So I stepped away from the machine for a few hours.
By late afternoon the temperature had dropped (slightly) and it was certainly less humid. In great fear and trepidation I turned on the machine and it sewed perfectly…
I managed to add another border to the Very Hungry Caterpillar quilt as well as piece a few blocks of the leaders and ender quilt together.
Next I’m going to add the pieced border to either end of the quilt and then I’ll add another pieced border on either side to make it wider. I’m really happy with how this is coming along.
Read Full Post »