I found some giant snails wandering in our garden.
I was able to sneak up and get some close-ups.
Knitted with yarn I spun using roving from Nurturing Fibres.
They now live on my bookshelf.
When I was in grade three or four, our class was divided along gender lines and we were taught a craft one afternoon a week. The boys got to bang blocks of wood together (and I desperately wanted to do that) and the girls got to do things like embroider (I remember the teacher laughing at me when I asked her to re-thread my string I should have said thread apparently…). After embroidery for a few weeks we were taught to crochet. My classmates churned out dozens of colourful bookworms and I managed to produce a tangled mess. I never did get a bookworm of my own.
When I saw this bookworm pattern on Ravelry I decided it was high time that my eight year old self (and my eight year old daughter) got a crocheted bookworm.
Mine are in decidedly nicer yarn than was used back then. The green is a cotton yarn from an indie-dyer in South Africa and purple is handspun I dyed myself.
In its natural habitat.
Gorgeous Girl was invited to a birthday party a while ago. We raided the fabric stash to make the gift. Fabric was bought in South Africa, so it’s at least five years old.
Eric Carle fabric.
Gifts weren’t opened at the party, so we have no idea if it was well received or not, but Gorgeous Girl and I liked it. It was actually hard to give this one away…
I had some down time in the evenings when I was researching in Maryland, so I was able to get the handspun socks finished. This time they actually fit.
Of course, not that I’m back in the land of eternal summer they are sitting unloved and unused in a drawer…
This is a free toe-up sock pattern, details here.
I made a little hat for one of Gorgeous Girl’s dollies. It used up the last of the yellow sock yarn, so a nice little stash buster.
There was just enough coloured yarn left to do a contrast row at the top of the hat.
I used a smaller yarn than the pattern called for to make it smaller. Pattern can be found here. I’ll be making this again as it is a great way to use up small leftover bits of yarn.