I found some giant snails wandering in our garden.
I was able to sneak up and get some close-ups.
Knitted with yarn I spun using roving from Nurturing Fibres.
They now live on my bookshelf.
I had some down time in the evenings when I was researching in Maryland, so I was able to get the handspun socks finished. This time they actually fit.
Of course, not that I’m back in the land of eternal summer they are sitting unloved and unused in a drawer…
This is a free toe-up sock pattern, details here.
I made a little hat for one of Gorgeous Girl’s dollies. It used up the last of the yellow sock yarn, so a nice little stash buster.
There was just enough coloured yarn left to do a contrast row at the top of the hat.
I used a smaller yarn than the pattern called for to make it smaller. Pattern can be found here. I’ll be making this again as it is a great way to use up small leftover bits of yarn.
I also took some socks as my travel knitting. I knitted these during quiet times at the house in Colorado, on the plane to Atlanta, quiet time at the hotel in Atlanta, on the plane to Hawaii and put the finishing stitches on them in Hawaii.
These were a departure from my usual sock knitting in that I knitted them toe up. They came out pretty well, though I’m still struggling to get the toes looking nice.
I was pretty darn impressed with myself, and then I tried them on…
I should have listened to my instincts as I was knitting them. The needles were too small for the thickness of my handspun and the socks were too tight on my feet and the fabric was very, very stiff.
The socks got frogged (pulled out) and I’m reknitting them at a looser gauge. One sock is completely reknitted and the other is in progress. Good reminder to myself to listen to my knitting instincts more. Problems are not going to magically disappear once the item is finished!
According to Ravelry, I queued the Vineland Mittens pattern on December 28, 2008. I remember seeing them on Jody’s blog and being very impressed with the pattern.
I cast these on before we left for our US trip. I worked on them in front of the fire in Colorado and finally got them finished in time to wear in Atlanta.
I love the pattern. I used Nurturing Fibres DK yarn for the berry colour and the brown is from a friend who had the yarn spun from the fibre off his sheep in Wales (he then took it to South Africa when he moved there and gave it to me, so I know that it is truly vintage yarn).
This is a really clever pattern. The design is reversed for left and right hand.
To be honest I think I love the palms of the mittens more than the back. As you can see, I did have some problems with the thumbs. That is entirely the result of my own inexperience with mitten knitting (these are the first mittens I’ve knitted) and not the fault of the pattern.
You can find all the technical details here. Thanks for a great pattern Jody.
I’m pretty sure these won’t be the last mittens I knit, though there isn’t much call for mittens where I live…