In a little while we are due to take our mid-year leave. For the past few years we have headed to Australia. This year things are a little more complicated due to Gorgeous Man having commitments for work here in Papua New Guinea and then in Fiji and the Solomon Islands that make it difficult to take the full leave period in Australia. So after much looking at the logistics and research on Gorgeous Man’s part (he’s a great holiday planner) we decided that Gorgeous Girl and I would accompany him on the Fiji leg of his work trip and we’d all go to Fiji a few days early before his work stuff started so that we could reset as a family after the busy semester. It’s been a bit of an adjustment having Gorgeous Man in a new role that keeps him very busy and me returning to full-time work.
So, we have two days in Australia before heading to Fiji. Last night I made a list of all the things we need to do in those two days. I like lists. I will carry this around in my purse and cross it off as I go.
1. Catch-up with family
2. Haircut and colour Ruth
3. Haircut Gorgeous Girl
4. leg wax
5. Buy – formal dress or top (Gorgeous Man has had few invitations to fancy work things and I need to expand the top end of my wardrobe.
6. Buy Gorgeous Girl birthday present
7. Buy Gorgeous Man birthday present
8. Buy myself a pair of earrings
9. Buy soap (allergies to normal soap mean I need to get organic paraben free stuff from the health food store)
10. Buy two sketch books for travel journals
11. Buy school shoes for Gorgeous Girl – the ones we bought locally have fallen apart after 6 months
12. Buy school socks for Gorgeous Girl – she’s particular about the type of sock she likes…
13. Buy a bicycle tire tube so Gorgeous Girl can ride her bike again – the current one has been patched so many times it looks like a quilt.
14. Snorkelling masks for Gorgeous Girl and me. Did you know that you can buy snorkelling masks with prescription lenses? This means I’ll actually be able to see the fish and not just faint blobs of colour.
15. Long pants for Gorgeous Girl.
16. Jumper (sweater) for Gorgeous Girl. It was cold enough here to wear a sweater this morning and her arms were poking out of the sleeves.
17. Buy lipstick and perfume (will do this in duty free I think)
18. See the dr (me, just a quick check-up)
19. Deliver the white hippo
20. Post the grey hippo to the USA
21. Post present to Grandma.
To this list Gorgeous Girl has added go to McDonalds and have sushi (not at McDonalds). I’ve also added have coffee from my favourite coffee shop.
Looking at the list it looks like we’ll be spending the bulk of our Australian time at the mall. We’ll need the holiday after that.
Read Full Post »