All of the dyed tops (I think they are called tops – real spinners correct me if I’m wrong) are now dried and safely packed away in my closet. Ieven learnt to braid them like a professional ;)
Gorgeous Girl has been difficult (to say the least) this week and it took me until Friday to actually find a moment to take pictures.
We started with greens.
and tried two kinds of green. The we added purple to the bowl. I wrapped the big coil of purple and white into a ball and let the dye penetrate, then because it wasn’t going all the way to the middle I wound some off to expose new parts of the ball to the dye. I was really pleased with this one. It turned out exactly as I pirctured it in my head. Now to see if it will spin up the same way :) I’m hoping to spin this lace weight and make a shawl out of it.
After the green, but before adding the purple dye we put some yarn into the pot to soak up any excess dye in the water (we didn’t change water between colours).
These were also used to soak up the extra dye after the purple as well. I was surprised at how well they turned out. I’m calling them my happy accidents.
Lastly we took a very big ball of fleece and put it in the purple pot (with the green fleece above) when the dye was exhausted, we poured red directly onto the ball and squished it down, then we added bright blue (to get a different shade of purple). Unwinding bits of the ball helped to spread the colours.
I don’t have a spinnng plan for this yet, so it’s going to marinate in the stash.
Then, so that no dye would go to waste we threw some more fleece into the pot to soak up any last dye. The red and the blue took up at different rates and we ended up with this.
Another happy accident.
I have to work this weekend. But hopefully next weekend will see me over the dye pot once again. I think I might be addicted…
Since so many of you commented that you would like to see a picture of the quilt in progress. I present for your viewing pleasure Fish Quilt: Row 6.
Because this is done with tricky pieces and templates and the pattern doesn’t label the pieces beyond the colours of the fish, I’ve been laying it out on the floor to make sure that I’m sewing the right bits together. I’m so glad I did, because in this row it seems that one of the blue pieces has been omitted from the cutting instructions. I’m going to sew from the top and the bottom and then try to work out how wide I need to cut to make it fit.
The Scarves for Africa Project is coming along well. We have ten (!!!) from Karol-Ann, and at least one from Rebecca so far. I’m still working on mine, I’m slow because it’s my in the car knitting. If you are knitting a scarf (or three) can you leave me a comment on where you are up to and I’ll do a shout-out post.
We want to start distributing them by June or July at the latest.
I’ve plied the red yarn that was on the spinning wheel. It’s a little overplied, but it looks like yarn. Pictures when it’s dry and reskeined. If Gorgeous Girl settles down for the night I might just get to start some of my own hand-dyed fleece…